RecPoker Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community!

• Live Tournament — $100 w/ $50 bounty.

Posted by arw on May 7, 2021 at 9:09 pm

This tournament was held in MN. It had 47 entries and paid top 5.

To me, this tournament had some interesting spots worth mentioning.

1) ICM — we chopped the tournament 4 ways.

2) Hand History — my image, my beats, my brags

To start, I want to point out one of my table mates who ended up chopping with me. You know him as RickTheGoodDog. He is a frequent Rec home game player and it was great to meet him in person. He is an extremely nice person and a solid opponent. The two of us have slight history playing live together before COVID and we recognized each other initially. Without the RecPoker community, we might not have connected today.

ICM

— When we were playing short-handed, I suggested to the table that we consider chopping. At this point in the tournament, I looked around at everyone’s stack and we all had very close to 100K in chips. No big stacks, no short stacks. The chop value was $757 which was close to 2nd place money. All 4 of us had approximately 4 bounties which means we all basically doubled our initial investment of $100 and we still had our $50 bounty in play. At the time that I offered the chop, the blinds were 3000 / 6000 with the big blind adding the 6000 ante. With only 100,000 chips, the bb was investing 12,000 or 12% of their stack. For a player min-raising, they would be risking 12% of their stack.

Hand History

— This tournament was 7-handed w/ 15 minute levels and 10,000 chips to start.

— 1st level — My first 5 hands were heads-up because players didn’t sit down yet. I won 4 of them. Once more players sat down, I played more conservative to try and get a feel on the table and find out player tendencies. My table was mostly nitty with one loose aggressive player. This loose goose showed up late and immediately got to work. I was looking to punish him.

— 2nd level — No wins yet (8k)

— 3rd level — No wins yet (7k)

— 4th level — The blinds are 200/300 w 300 ante. The LAG player opens 3x in the cutoff. I’m in the big blind with ~20 bb and I shove AQo. The LAG calls with KJ and I double up to about 15k.

— 5th level — The blinds are 200/400 w 400 ante. I opened a couple of small pocket pairs but end up folding post flop. The same spot against the LAG player happens again. He opens 3x and I jam AJ to about 10,000 chips. He calls and I win again. I’m up to about 20k.

— 6th level — Nothing happens

— 7th level — I move to a new table. The blinds are 400/800 w 800 ante. I have about 16k. The first hand, I sit down utg dealt AQo. Before I act, I look at all the chip stacks. The utg+1 gets impatient and folds out of turn, the next player does the same, and then the dealer says pause. It’s my action and two players have accidentally mucked early. I decide to push-all in. The next player (after the accidental folds) doesn’t hear the dealer say pause and doesn’t see my all-in. I shove and he is now min-raising to 1600. That money is dead and he needs to make a decision with his chips. He has me covered by a lot and decided to fold.

— 8th level — At this point, I have some reads on my table and there are about 16 players left in the tournament. The player to my left was predictable. I saw him limp/fold several times. When he opened 3x, he got it in. The two players to his left were both playing a lot of pots. The big stack was trappy. I saw him limp AA to attempt a trap against the ABC old guy Keith who also made the FT with us. Keith flopped trips and doubled up through the AA to get over 100k chips and the likely chip lead. I have like 20k in chips and I end up doubling up with in a spot I can’t remember. I have 40k by the end of this level

— 9th level — The blinds are 600/1200 w 1200 ante. During this level, I was the most active. The first hand was to bust the short stack with top set of 77. Before the hand, he puts his whole stack in early with his bb and announces that he is never folding. I’m utg and I open to 3500, 4 players call and the short stack shoves for 800 more. No one can re-raise to iso so we go multi-ways with one all in. The flop is 753 rainbow. I c-bet and all the other players fold, the short stack peaks at his cards and is excited to have 3 outs. He misses and I win.

— 10th level — The blinds are 1000/1500 w 1500 ante w/ 10 players left. Weird blinds and antes but oh well. I’m in the small blind with TT and the predictable player opens to 5k utg. The trappy player calls 5k and it folds to me. I could shove 40k but I decide to call and see the flop. The flop is 332 w two hearts and I check. The predictable player c-bets all in for 30k or about twice the pot size. The trappy player thinks about it and then shoves 42k. I have 40k and I decide to also shove all-in. In hindsight, I thought that I had both players covered. The predictable player has A8dd and the trappy player has 88. I win a massive pot to get over 100k.

— 11th level — We made the Final Table starting w 6 players and 2 have them have short stacks. The blinds are 1000/2000 w 2000 ante. After 3 hands, we bust one shorty to get in the money. Then, the other short stack goes on a mission to double up and he wins the blinds and antes 5 hands in a row. His image is tarnished, he gets all-in, and loses his 6th hand to min cash in 5th place. We played a few hands before chopping. In one spot, the short stack has about 25 bb and I have about 50 bb. Keith limps utg and it folds to the short stack Brad who raises from the small blind to about 10k. I have AKcc in the bb and I decide to call instead of reraising (not sure why?). It goes 3 ways and the flop is A82 rainbow. Brad c-bets, I call, and Keith folds. The turn is a blank and I check again knowing that my opponent will likely bet his air and bet his 2-pairs, sets, and weaker aces. He bets 15k, I shove, and he calls with AT. Unfortunately, I lose on the river to a T. After a while, Keith loses some of his stack to Rick and we are all even stacked. We decide to chop. None of these players were making big mistakes. One bad hand and I lose a lot of cash $$$ so chopping was favorable in my opinion.

Questions for you:

• How did I play my TT?
    • How did I play my AKcc?
    • Do you agree with chopping in this spot?

Happy with my play overall, always looking to improve, and willing to hear your thoughts.

arw replied 2 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.