WSOP 2021!

Tagged: ,

• Posted by fivebyfive on June 15, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Starting this thread here. Who’s excited? When are you thinking of going? https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/

I’m personally looking to be there around the Main if I can. Still need to check some details on the work and home front. So my most likely time would be early to mid November. My fall back is to organize something around the Monster Stack (starting flights Oct 15-16) event which I’ve always wanted to play.

jim replied 2 years, 9 months ago 10 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • fivebyfive

June 15, 2021 at 1:14 pm

BTW, if interested, they also now have the Main Event satellite schedule posted. When I was last there, these were very, very soft fields full of people who didn’t understand satellite structure. Even if you don’t want to play the Main, you can sell your lammers and these can be a really solid value.

No-Limit Hold’em Mega Satellites November 3 – 8:

• $140 Buy-In Mega Satellites at 8 AM (net prize pool = multiples of $1,100 entries into 1pm Mega). Turbo format.
    • $250 Buy-In Mega Satellites at 2 PM (net prize pool = multiples of $2,175 entries into 8pm Mega). Turbo format.
    • $580 Buy-In Mega Satellites at 10 AM & 4 PM (net prize pool = multiples of $10,000 in Tournament Buy-In Chips).
    • $1,100 Buy-In Mega Satellites at 1 PM (net prize pool = multiples of $10,000 in Tournament Buy-In Chips).
    • $2,175 Buy-In Mega Satellites at 8 PM (net prize pool = multiples of $10,000 in Tournament Buy-In Chips).
    • kevmath

June 15, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Worth noting, there are also satellites daily during the WSOP that will award $5,000 or $10,000 in tournament buy-in chips that you can use for the Main Event or any tournament with a buy-in $500 and over.

$580 tournaments run at 2pm

$1,100 tournaments run at 8pm.

If you’ve played MTT Mega’s in the past, they’ve usually awarded the buy-in chips plus a small amount of cash. Looking at the PDF of the WSOP schedule, there’s no mention of cash.

• steve-fredlund

June 15, 2021 at 1:20 pm

This is so awesome; if you missed our conversation during the release with Kevin Mathers, check it out here – https://rec.poker/content/podcast/wsop2021/

I can’t wait to review it in more detail and start circling! We will have the RecPoker house rented for the entire series and hoping I can be there for most of it!

• jim

June 15, 2021 at 1:40 pm

I’m looking at early-mid October but only for life reasons, no tournaments circled yet – feels more real now though!

• monkiesystem

June 15, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I’ll be eligible for the Super Seniors event, which starts October 31. So I’ll be checking into the Rec Poker House on October 30, checking out on November 5.

I’ve never played a bracelet event before. Is it a smart play to purchase a seat this far in advance? Will they even sell seats this far in advance?

• fivebyfive

June 15, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Registration doesn’t open until August. The first time I went, I bought my seat far in advance, but I’ve never done it since. That said, it’s really good to arrive a day early to take care of this stuff, check out the Rio, get yourself ready, and wait through any of the lines you need to without worrying about missing out on poker.

• kevmath

June 15, 2021 at 8:54 pm

If you’re getting to Vegas on October 30, it’s probably best to register in the evening. Day 1B of the Colossus starts that morning and it’s going to be a madhouse attempting to register there until registration for that event closes.

• monkiesystem

June 16, 2021 at 7:31 am

I’m planning to play the Super Seniors event on the 31st. But it’ll be the same thing, eh? A madhouse at the registration area.

On another topic, if you have a lammer from a sattie, do you still have to wait in line to register as if paying with money? Or is there a separate procedure for entering a tournament using a lammer?

• fivebyfive

June 16, 2021 at 9:48 am

Definitely register the day before. It’s good to check out the Rio anyway before you’re about to play. Plus if you do it at night or early in the morning, you won’t have to wait very long.

If you have a lammer from a sattie, you can mostly walk up and down reg lines to sell them, but if you want to reg for a tournie with them you do have to wait in the same reg lines. I mostly used the electronic system to save time registering except when I had lammers. I can imagine a future where satellites somehow credit your digital account, but I don’t think we’re there yet, and there are probably all kinds of security and logistics issues to pull that off.

• monkiesystem

June 16, 2021 at 10:48 am

That’s a good practice for all WSOP events on the circuit too… I got into a Seniors event in Milwaukee late once because of the long line, even though I arrived an hour before cards fly…

• monkiesystem

July 8, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Couple more lammer questions…

If I have 3 $500 lammers and want to enter a $1,100 event, will they give me $400 cash for change if I present all 3 lammers? Or will they only take 2 lammers and make me cough up $100 cash to make up the difference?

Can I use lammers to enter a bigger satellite? Or must it be only MTT’s?

What is the usual discount you have to offer to sell your lammers in a registration line?

OK that’s more than just a couple questions…

• petvet

Organizer
              July 8, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Not sure on the first question, but I would guess no cash value so would have to pay the extra $100

You can use lammers for satellite buy ins

You can usually get face value in line from players willing to help out other players – don’t sell them for a discount!

• kevmath

June 17, 2021 at 9:24 pm

You’ll be waiting in line with the people paying with cash.

• gibber3

June 15, 2021 at 3:14 pm

I have flights booked going Oct 15, leaving Oct 23…..for now. I really want to play the Seniors, but of course, the two day ones are not until the 27th and 28th….so I am now thinking how I can stay another week (work vacation days and $$ factors). I’ve been giddy and wringing-my-hands nervous since seeing the schedule today.

I’d also like to talk about strategy in regards to satellite into the tournaments I want to play. I want to make a plan to basically satty in or not play the bracelet event. Looking for ideas on budgeting those.

• steve-fredlund

June 16, 2021 at 12:30 am

Jim, not sure if you are interested, but we are going to create a staking approach for RecPoker Road Trippers; that might be a way you can play in those events and a way for those not going to engage with the WSOP.

• steve-fredlund

June 16, 2021 at 12:32 am

Generally, I think figure out your budget for the series and then we can have a conversation to brainstorm how to maximize the dollars. This could be a really fun discussion; not sure if this is something @petvet and her travel team could help with but would be a fun process. I am planning on having monthly zoom calls with those staying in the RecPoker hosue so we can get to know each other as we get closer.

• monkiesystem

June 15, 2021 at 3:34 pm

Another strategy for managing your bankroll if you want to play satties is to play as many as possible and then sell the lammers you win at face value. You make a profit and the buyer saves himself the time of waiting in line.

Rec players like us can afford to use satties to get into events we otherwise can’t afford. It’s not a concern for us as it is for pros.

But if you use satties to get into multiple re-entry tournaments you might find yourself in a bind when some pro sniffs that out and puts you to the test for your stack. A pocketful of lammers should solve that problem, tho.

• jim

June 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Second this – you can grind the lammer circuit for a great ROI, and playing sattys is a good way for rec players like us that may not have as much experience playing short-handed. BUT the only way to get better at shorthanded play is by DOING IT so there’s a tradeoff there for sure. I love the idea of stacking lammers and selling for an edge. Very #nitcast approved and I’m sure Carlos Welch would agree!

• steve-fredlund

June 16, 2021 at 12:34 am

I am a huge proponent of satellites for value (not just to take a shot). Many Rec players can pretty consistently get into the top 110-20% but struggle running super deep where the real money is, so in standard tourneys they get a lot of min cashes. Satellites often return 4-8 times the buy in, which is great for a “min cash”. And usually, just because you win a satellite does NOT mean you have to play the big one. That’s why I say playing satellites for value is a great approach for many of us.

• gibber3

June 16, 2021 at 6:50 am

I certainly relate with this. On the trip I took earlier this month was top 20% in 4 of the 5 tournaments. Fortunately still had a small profit as 2 were cashes but satellites will give me better chance at upping that ROI.

• monkiesystem

June 16, 2021 at 7:27 am

There are a couple of books out on the topic of satties. Dara O’Kearney’s book does a deep dive on the differences between MTT and sattie strategy. ICM is the elephant (or in my case the gorilla) in the room.

• websitemark

June 19, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Booked crazy cheap flights and the Rio or first week of October ????

Hoping to win the Reunion and become a gazillionaire.

• veaner85

June 23, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Heading to Vegas October 2nd to 9th.

Plan on playing the $500 Reunion but the $1500 Dealers Choice looks very tempting.

Plus a lot of cash games.

Can’t wait!

• corndogchats

June 23, 2021 at 2:21 pm

My company’s annual user conference is in Las Vegas this year (November 9-11), and with the shift to a fall WSOP, I will be there during the Main Event!

Excited to just be a poker tourist, don’t expect I will jump in anything other than maybe a Daily Deepstack, cash games, or some smaller buy-in events outside of WSOP if I decide to extend my stay after the conference through the weekend.

But at the very least I will go over to the Rio just to see the circus, wander the halls and maybe spot a few notable players in the field.

• jim

July 10, 2021 at 11:58 am

flights are booked! See you all down there Oct 6-17!