RecPoker Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community!

• Live Tourney ($175aud buy in)

Posted by chappo on April 3, 2021 at 11:38 pm

So this is a little of a bad beat story – however bear with me.

I have a about 54000, villain is already a loose weirdo.

Blinds are 100 200

25 minute levels.

This is the second blind level of the tourney.

I open utg to 700 with aa

Next 3 players call.

Player 4 3b to 2700

I 4b to 7000

Players 2 and 3 get out of the way.

Flop comes out 10 high 2 clubs- unconnected.

So I do a quick calc figure he has JJ+, i block AA and KK, he may have AK?

SPR of 2.2 ish for the villain who is the effective stack.

Figure this weirdo will be unable to lay down JJ, QQ etc on a 10 high board.

I jam he snaps

With……

Q9c

Turn was a brick.

Rivers a club for the flush.

Only thing I canty remember is if I held the Ac or As.

Now I know I want the call as I am way in front (66% or thereabouts).

But I cant seem to steer clear of people like this i have moved up in buy ins and still run into people like this calling a large 4 bet with Q9 suited.

A really good friend of mine has started saying to me that i running on tilt as i believe that the player should just play better and I dont adjust – but I am struggling to adjust to people like this, they run me down time and time again.

I ended up getting the remainder of my stack in during the next level with the K high flush against the A high flush (that player was actually a good player who said geez man your luck sucks!).

So 2 questions here;

How do you adjust even at the higher buy ins to players who just don’t seem to get it, my poker seems to be stuck at this level. I know it is absolutely my problem and not the villains but can somebody help me out – I know variance is part of the answer.

And is there any way I could have played AA diff here? Is my thinking wrong

Chappo – considering retiremnt for the 3rd time this week!

imalouigi replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • chappo

April 4, 2021 at 8:55 am

*** EDIT HIS HAND WAS Q7cc

And I blocked AK.

• petvet

April 4, 2021 at 11:29 am

You’re right Troy – this is a bad beat story.

There are many aggressive players who will find opportunities to 3 bet squeeze with this type of suited hand. This particular hand class (Q7s) will usually fold to a 4 bet, however your 4 bet to 7K gave villain excellent odds to call (12.1K in pot and 4.3K to call). As a matter of fact, he should never fold any 2 cards he 3bet with here. Perhaps a 4 bet closer to 11-12K would be better.

I think a normal Cbet on the flop, planning to call a shove or jam all non club turns would also be appropriate. 2.2x pot over jam allows villain to gamble knowing he gets to see 2 cards to hit his draw. The 7c may also wrap around the flop cards, giving him more backdoor draws.

I generally try to pot control in these larger buy in events when you start with 200+bbs. When a pot starts to blow up like this, just try to make the best sizing decisions and know that AA still loses more than a third of the time when called in this type of situation. We just wish those losses came in our nightly home games and not the big buy in live events????

• binkley

April 7, 2021 at 12:32 am

I’ll first comment on the specific hand and strategy. Pot is 3100 (100+200+700+700x3callers) when the action comes to main V. His 2700 3bet is undersized (4200-4800 preferred) . Pot is 5800.

I agree with Kim said that 11-12K is a better 4bet sizing.

As played, pot is 17,100. SPR is ~2.2 so V remaining stack is ~37,500.

I like using a 7,500 cbet. We’re giving V pot odds of 30% when flush draw will hit on the turn only 19% of the time. We can get V to make a mistake by calling without the correct odds. We risk a little less to see if the turn is clean.

If the turn card is clean then this sets up a jam 30,000 jam into a pot of 32,100.

We’re giving V pot odds of 48% but V only has equity of 19%.

We’ve given V chance to make multiple mistakes and increasingly bigger mistakes.

• binkley

April 7, 2021 at 12:43 am

“But I cant seem to steer clear of people like this i have moved up in buy ins and still run into people like this calling a large 4 bet with Q9 suited.”

It sounds like you play in very juicy games. Whenever I 4bet with AA, I’m hoping for a call. Are these players that you want to avoid?

Suppose it was a cash game, and a donkey just doubled up by calling down with garbage and chasing a flush draw. The last thing I would want would be for V to rack up and leave or to move to another table.

You can’t control what card comes on the river. But you can control your decisions at the table. If we make better decisions then our opponents, the good results will come in the long run.

• imalouigi

April 7, 2021 at 7:39 am

Your overbet jam (theoretically) allows opponent to play perfect OTT. He should only be calling better and folding worse….and you are giving him too bad of odds to (theoretically) call a flush draw. You do not want to give your opponent such an easy decision. The fact that he calls off without the proper odds is a dream scenario for you despite the bad runout.

You should be using a bigger 4! sizing and I personally like a ~40% pot size bet OTF since it should set up an easy turn shove.

All you can control is your decisions which should be the focus of improving your game.