RecPoker Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community!

• Review Home Game – 7/16/2020

Posted by arw on July 17, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Hand #1

Blinds – (700/1400+175)

I have 22k in chips in the big blind.

My opponent has 30K. He is a solid player who was being active when this hand occurred. Villain opens 2x and I 3-bet all in from the blinds with AsQh. He calls with AdJd.

Pot Odds

• He is calling 20k to win about 25k.

Hand Equity

• AJ vs. Big Pair (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT) — 12%, 32%, 32%, 34%, 45%
    • AJ vs. Big Ace (AK, AQ, AJ, AT, A9) — 30%, 30%, chop, 70%, 70%
    • AJ vs. Speculative (KQ, QJ, JT) — 58%, 69%, 68%

Is this a good or bad call with AJ suited for this price?

Hand #2

Blinds – 500/1000 + 125 @ Final Table w/ 7 left

I have 25k in chips on the button

It folds to me and I min-raise w/ Ac4c. The small blind w/ 40k starting stack calls my raise. This villain has been an ABC player but willing to take some risky plays.

The flop is Ad8d4h. The pot is 4700. Villain checks.

What should I do?

a) Check

b) Bet $2000

c) Bet $3000

d) Bet $4000

Hand #3

Blinds – 1000/2000 + 250

Heads-up

I have ~45k vs my opponents ~120k.

The villain limps $1000 more on the button. I have Qc5h and I check to see a flop. The flop is Qs8h2s. I check/call a bet of $1400. The turn is 9d. We both check. The river is Tc. I check and my opponent jams all-in for ~118k. I have ~43k left in my stack.

What should I do?

a) Fold

b) Call

Hand #4

Blinds – 700 / 1400 + 175

4 handed @ Final Table

UTG – 21,600

Button – 63,200

SB – 47,600

BB – 34,900

I’m in the small blind and 2nd in chips w/ 47,600 chips. The small stack pushes all-in for 21,600. The button folds. I have pocket 66.

What should I do?

a) Fold

b) Call

jim replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • yamel

July 17, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Nice fun hands, almost like I was there too!…here are some of my thoughts…curious what others think.

Hand#1 – I like that V has a suited hand in this situation, but it would depend on your image on calling…if I think you would only jam with big pairs and Aces, or have more of those speculative hands….I’d wanna call with AJsuited against opponents with wider ranges since I only invested 2BB so far. I think this is close though and would call it off with 1010+ and AQs+

Hand#2 – I like option 2, I’d be betting small to get called by draws and Aces, then betting larger on most turns unless diamonds get there and we get led into.

Hand#3- I think this is a fold, big overbet since we lose to better top pairs and straights…we are just ahead of missed flushes and some weaker pairs (which probably don’t need the big bet with some showdown value).

Hand #4 – This seems like a fold and wait for a better spot since villian usually has two overs to our small pair and we drop to last place if we lose this coin flip type situation. I rather be applying the pressure than receiving it when stacks are so l close together.

• binkley

July 17, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Hand #1:

From your description, it sounds like you’re actual jamming range is: TT+, A9s+,A9o+,KQ, QJs, JTs.

Against this exact range AJs has 50% equity. This is more than the 45% needed. Although marginal, this is a profitable call based just on chip EV.

What was the villain’s position? Depending on position, Nash push/fold chart says that from BB, you can jam with more hands (44+).

Hand #2

I prefer the small bet size. On an A high mostly unconnected board, you can bet small with your entire range. This should include your strongest hands.

Hand #3

Facing this overbet, this is an easy fold. Only if you think your opponent is a complete maniac would this be a call.

Hand #4

Nash charts say this is a marginally profitable call. However, a lot depends on if you think the short stack is jamming tighter or looser than the Nash ranges. I think this is close but I would fold.

• jim

Administrator
    July 18, 2020 at 9:09 am

GREAT way to explore the hands folks – I think we can get a lot of value out of using home game hands as examples, and particularly ones from the Tournament of Champions final table that will be reviewed by the panel at the end of each month in the Strat Chat. Keep it up!