RecPoker Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community!

Tagged: 

• Canterbury 150$ deep stack nearing the money

Posted by jacob-kieke on June 30, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I was playing in the Canterbury 150$ deep stack this weekend and I was curious how people would have played this hand. It’s not the most exciting hand in the world but I just curious how people would have played this.

So there was 200 entires in the tournament. There is 33 people left and 21 get paid. Min cash is 272 and 1st is 5980$. The blinds are 2k/4k/4k. I have 71k (so just under 18bbs.

Pre-Flop:

We are 7 handed (the table has gotten significantly harder and I don’t think there is an obvious bad player at the table so I don’t think i have a significant edge over anyone at my table) and I am in the BB with Ad 2s. The action is folded to the SB. SB has approximately 120k (so 32.5bbs). The SB raises to 12.5k. I have played with the SB since the beginning of the tournament, they seem solid all night, haven’t seen bluff all day from them, we had only had 2 other blind v blind situations all day and he raised each time and they always open just over 3bbs.

So what should I do here. Should I call, I feel like my A high is ahead of a lot of his range blind v blind. Should I jam, it’s a 17 bb jam and it would be hard call for the SB being over half of their stack, I just wasn’t sure if A2o is a good jam coming close to the money. Or should I fold and find a better spot where I can apply the pressure in a different situation. I elected to call. (Just under 14bbs left)

Flop:

Flop is the Kc 4d 5d. The Villain bets 10k (2.5bbs). So what should I do. I still think Ax can still be the best hand. Should I call, hoping the Villain gives up or I hit a diamond, Ace or a 3. Should I fold, I only have Ace high and would still have just 14bbs behind. Or should I jam, with Ace high, gut shot and back door diamonds. I elect to call again. (About 11.5 bbs left)

Turn:

7c

The Villain jams all in. I fold.

Conclusion: I just hated this spot and keep thinking about it. Don’t know if I let my nerves get the best of me with serious money up top. I also haven’t dealt with a BB ante much in my life. I wasn’t sure how much should change my calling range/jamming range based on me being the BB ante just under 20bbs. Just didn’t feel like I played any spot right but I don’t hate any may decisions

Let me know what you think. I know not the most exciting hand ever. (I ended up busting in 32nd)

steve-fredlund replied 2 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fivebyfive

Administrator
    July 1, 2021 at 9:48 am

(My original post got flagged for some reason, so I’m reposting):

I really like a jam preflop. At this stack depth, we have a great candidate to incorporate into our jamming range. We block some of the best holdings, and we can get a lot of hands with great equity to fold against us. We’re also not quite close enough to the bubble to nit up and try to cash. I would be jamming most of my Ax offsuit combos here, my weaker pairs, plus a few of my best Ax suited combos. I’m flatting with my premiums, my lower Ax suiteds, most of my broadways, and most of my suited combos.

The image shows the range Floptimal suggests at 20bb after a SB open (in practice, I’m not playing this wide as I would be folding hands like J5o and 62s and I would be shoving a little wider, but I like the general framework for shoving and calling).

Once we reach the flop, this is rough. I don’t think we can fold with the gutter and backdoor nut diamond draw. Plus, as you say, we can have the best hand. But we’re also behind a lot, so I don’t like the jam. This is one of those ugly spots that plays out exactly how it did. I think we need to call once and then fold like you did. To me, the mistake was to not shove this pre. But curious what others think.

• arw

July 6, 2021 at 11:40 am

With 18 bb starting,

When you jam all-in,

foldEV = (% opponent when you jam) * (amount win when fold)

foldEV = (maybe 80%) * (your 1 bb + opponent raised to 3.1 bb)

foldEV = (80%)(4.1 bb)

foldEV = 3.28 bb

_____

callEV = (% opponent calls jam) * [(% hero wins) * (amount win when call) – % hero loses)*(amount hero is risking)]

callEV = (%OppCall)*[(%HeroWin)(amount win) – (%HeroLose)(amount lose)

callEV = (20%) * [(maybe 50% to win)(18 bb * 2) – (50% to lose)(18 bb – 3.1 bb)

callEV = (20%) * [(50%)(36bb ) – (50%)(15 bb)]

callEV = (20%)*[18 – 7.5]

callEV = (20%) * 11.5

callEV = 2.3 bb

Obv, change the variables if you wish,

Jamming is worth 3.28 + 2.30 = 5.58 bb when:

— opponent calls 20%

— hero wins 50%

Compare this to when you call the opponents raise,

= (%win)(amount win) – (%lose)(amount lose)

= (50%)(3.1 bb * 2) – (50%)*(3.1 bb – 1 bb)

= (50%)(6.2 bb) – (50%)(2.1 bb)

= 3.1 bb – 1.05 bb

= 2.9 bb

Jamming is better than calling.

• rocketbox

July 6, 2021 at 11:40 am

Hey Jacob, IMO this has got to be a rip pre-. A few reasons are that a) Villain has made this type of play two other times in the tournament, and they may just have a nice read on us now; b) Ace-high is not bad against a SB open; c) we will get folds a lot of the time, and increase our stack significantly without showing down our cards; and, d) when the board comes out as it did, what to do next is unclear.

Our call, call, call, fold line is not optimal. We want to either take the aggressive edge at some point in the hand, or be ready to call a river jam with Ace-high.

• sirgasleak

July 11, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I happily shove pre. You’re ahead of his range for sure, and his typically large raise size just puts more dead money in the pot for you to win.

If I get dealt A2o in that spot, I’m literally hoping it folds to someone who attempts a steal so I can shove.

• steve-fredlund

July 12, 2021 at 8:51 am

Love this post as it’s such a common spot. I like a shove or fold against a good solid opponent who will likely continue to apply pressure post flop. I am curious what happened the other times they opened SB vs BB; did you tend to call/fold/raise against them. If you always folded, that widens their range here a bit. In general I love a shove here with like A9+ as you have a better chance of having overs against their small pairs; I don’t love the A2 spot here. If you were closer to the money it’s an easy fold. If I’m completely honest, I think it’s a fold for me here and look for a better spot, even though the wizards will tell you it’s a shove 🙂